Over-the-knee (OTK) boots have been on trend and the most wanted boot for the past couple of years. It is safe to say they aren’t going anyway anytime soon and are becoming a staple in every girl’s closet. My collection continues to grow as I am obsessed with this boot style!
I wore the pair featured during a girls’ night out a few weeks ago and received compliments from my friends on how I styled them with my dress. One of my friends looked at me and said, “I love OTK boots but I’m scared to buy a pair because I’m unsure of how to wear them.” I agreed with her that they are a bold style of shoe but like knee-high boots and booties, they can be styled similarly.
OTK boots can be worn casually with leggings and jeans paired with a blouse. They can also be worn dressed up with a skirt or dress. I have big calves, (that I got from my momma :] ), and unfortunately, they don’t allow me to wear jeans and OTK boots together, so I pair my boots with skirts and dresses.
Some tips and things to take into consideration when styling over-the-knee boots:
- Wear your boots with an article of clothing that is covered up in at least one way. For example, a high neckline (featured above), a top with sleeves or a dress/skirt with an appropriate length that is not risque, like here.
- Choose a skirt or dress hemline that slightly covers or hits about an inch above the top of the boot for a peek of skin.
- OTK boots should not fit too tightly or too loose around the thigh. They should fit just right and allow room for tights, jeans or over-the-knee socks.
- Add a coat (midi or maxi length, featured above) to play down the bold look of the boots. You don’t want them to overpower the rest of your outfit. They should complement your outfit.
- Adding a faux fur vest or jacket will add some sass to your outfit and add some glam to your boots.
- Sweater dresses paired with over-the-knee boots will keep you very warm in the winter!
- If want to pair your boots with shorts, add a pair of tights and long cardigan to balance out as well as tame the outfit.
If you have been hesitating on buying a pair of over-the-knee boots, I hope the information provided above is helpful and will encourage you to buy a pair! Steve Madden, Vince Camuto, Macy’s, and Public Desire are just a few of many places that carry OTK boots. Go get yourself a pair and let’s slay together!